Tourist Attractions near Portland, Perhaps to compensate for the humidity of the Pacific Northwest winter, Portland is alive with cultural events, musical entertainment, theater, and a selection of other fun things to do. But the same rain also nourishes the city’s impressive gardens, one of the city’s attractions.
Green space ranges from colorful plantings of roses and rhododendrons to a classical Chinese garden. Portland, Oregon’s largest city, is surrounded by the Willamette River and is considered by many to be one of the most desirable places to live in the United States.
1 Things to Do at Washington Park in Portland Oregon
Portland’s Washington Park includes a number of tourist attractions, including the famous Rose Test Garden, a zoo, and museums. A once wooded land. First purchased by the city in 1871, it is located to the west of the city center. Things to Do at Washington Park in Portland Oregon. Visitors can spend a day exploring the park’s attractions and wandering through the unusual gardens.
The famous International Rose Test Garden is where new varieties of roses are grown. In the city’s mild climate. Roses continue to flower into autumn, although visitors can catch the annual Rose Festival in May and June. Tourist activities in Portland Oregon Another escape. The Portland Japanese Garden, is the largest outside Japan and is landscaped on the grounds of the old zoo. Other popular things to do in the park. Today include visiting the zoo. The Portland Children’s Museum , and the Ht Arboretum .
Address: 4033 Southwest Canyon Road, Portland, Oregon
Official Site: http://explorewashingtonpark.org/
Top 14] Most Popular Tourist Attraction in Colorado
2 Columbia River Gorge Best Places to Visit in Oregon
The Columbia River marks the Oregon-Washington state border. And its entire length is a notable sightseeing area ideal for a leisurely drive and enjoying the outdoors. Tourist attractions near Portland Oregon A day trip destination from Portland,
The Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area covers a whopping 292,500 acres along the largest river in the Pacific Northwest. Columbia River Gorge Best Places to Visit in Oregon The trip takes in locks, viewpoints, and hiking trails. Many visitors like to stop and photograph the waterfalls that line the route. It including the giant Multnomah Falls (which flows year-round), the lovely Oneonta Gorge , and Latourell Falls in Guy W. Talbot State Park.
Official Site: http://www.fs.usda.gov/crgnsa
3 Tourist Attractions near Portland Pittock Mansion
West of Downtown Portland, this grand home was built in 1914 by Henry Pittock, the founder of the Oregonian newspaper. Famous tourist attractions in Oregon Pittock lived for. Only five years until his death in 1919 at the age of 80.
The house, set for demolition in the 1960s. It brought the community together as they persuaded the City of Portland to purchase the home.
Pittock Mansion Visit Portland’s Finest Historic House Museum. The mansion was restored to its full glory through private fundraising. Tourist attractions near Portland Oregon.
It is because of the forard thinking of local residents. That visitors have the chance to tour this impressive and eclectic home today.
Especially for its day, the Pittock Mansion had a number of impressive features. It including a central vacuum system, intercom, and indirect lighting. Top things to do in Portland Oregon The house is situated on 46 acres of land. And at an altitude of 1,000 feet above Portland.
This allows for exceptional views of the city on clear days. Places you must visit in Portland During its heyday, the house was also known for its impressive gardens. This trend continues today. With the home being mid-way through Washington Park , the Hoyt Arboretum , and many of the trails of Giant Forest Park.
Address: 3229 NW Pittock Dr, Portland
Official site: http://pittockmansion.org/
Top 12] Things You must do in Minnesota
4 Portland International Rose Test Garden
The Rose Test Garden in Washington Park, Portland, was established in 1917 and is the oldest operating rose test garden in the United States.
Developing new rose varieties and even miniatures, Places to visit in Portland Oregon the base is divided into several sections with many interesting plants and spaces. Most visited places in Portland Oregon The award winners are planted in what is known as the Gold Prize Garden , which also has a beautiful gazebo.
It is best to visit during late spring blooms. Another lovely Portland rose garden – the Peninsula Park Rose Garden – is set in a sunny landscape on the other side of the river.
Address: 850 SW Rose Garden Way, Portland
5 The Best of Forest Park in Portland Oregon
For an easy escape from the urban environment, Forest Park leans on the west side of the city and offers more than 5,000 acres of Northwest Forest to explore.
Covering the eastern slope of the Tualatin Mountains, Beautiful places to visit near Portland Oregon Forest Park is one of the largest urban parks in the country and has more than 80 miles of hiking and walking trails. It is easily accessible by car, bike, or public transportation.
The 30-mile Wildwood Trail is popular, as it connects with other pedestrian routes that circumnavigate the city.
Address: NW 29th Avenue and Upshur Street Newberry Road, Portland, Oregon
Official Site: https://www.portlandoregon.gov/parks/finder/index.cfm?action=ViewPark&PropertyID=127
Top 12] Tourist Attractions of Montana
6 Powell’s Books The World’s Largest Independent Bookstore
Bibliophiles will love to find over a million books in this great used bookstore. Shelves mix new titles with used copies to make it feel a bit haphazard but welcoming.
The staff is picky, Best Portland tourist attractions shows clever, and has plenty of room to lean against a corner and make it easy to pick up a book to read.
The events calendar on Powell’s books includes something almost every day , including author readings, panel discussions, writing workshops , and many different types of book clubs .
This shop on Burnside Street is one of the independent chain’s five locations in the Portland area, and is easily the largest.
Address: 1005 W Burnside Street, Portland, Oregon
Official Site: http://www.powells.com/
Top 12] Best Tourist Attractions in Illinois
7 Tourist Attractions near Portland Moon viewing at Portland Japanese Garden
Covering 12 acres within Washington Park, Portland’s Japanese Garden is located on the grounds of the old zoo.
Portland must visit places First opened to the public in 1961, the Japanese Garden was created to create a space for Portland citizens to find peace in their day and to recognize the growing cultural ties between Oregon and Japan.
Moon viewing at Portland Japanese Garden Both of these impressions live on in the Japanese Garden today, and the area is beautifully laid out in a variety of styles that provide a uniquely peaceful experience for visitors.
Garden spaces like the one in the picture include the Flat Garden , the Pond Pond Garden , and a Tea Garden complete with a beautiful formal teahouse.
Address: 611 SW Kingston Ave, Portland
Official site: http://japanesegarden.com/
8 The Portland Art Museum Rents out Virtual Reality Experiences
The oldest museum in the Pacific Northwest, the Portland Art Museum was founded in 1892 and has amassed a substantial and diverse collection since then.
Tourist attractions in Portland The number of objects exceeds 42,000, and only a small portion is displayed in more than 112,000 square feet of gallery space .
Highlights include Native American artifacts, graphic art, English silver, Asian art, photography, and Northwest art. Beautiful places near Portland, Oregon One of the most notable pieces at the Portland Art Museum is Vincent Van Gogh’s Cart with the Black Oaks .
The museum is also part of the Northwest Film Center and the visual arts-focused Crumpker Family Library.
Address: 1219 SW Park Ave, Portland
Official site: http://portlandartmuseum.org/
Top 12] Tourist Attractions of New Jersey
9 Tourist Attractions near Portland Best Things to Do at Lan Su Chinese Garden
China opened the Lan Su Chinese Garden in the year 2000 to shed light on Chinese culture and history after developing a relationship with its sister city Suzhou, China.
This tranquil environment blends nearly 40,000 square feet of land in central Portland, nearly a city block, rocks, plants, trees, gardens, and a lake.
Unique things to do in Portland Artisans came from Kairou to build traditional buildings and walkways, and native Chinese plants importe.
Completing the garden is a lovely tea house. Guided and self-guided tours are available, and special events such as mahjong, tai chi, and tea tastings take place at the Japanese Garden.
Address: 239 NW Everett St, Portland
Official Site: http://www.lansugarden.org/
10 Oregon Museum of Science and Industry (OMSI) Portland
The OMSI complex in Portland includes a theater with four-story screens, a constellation , a US Navy submarine, and educational hands-on displays.
Top tourist attractions in Portland In the galleries, visitors will find colorful, entertaining and educational exhibits for young children as well as hands-on interactive displays for all ages .
Places to visit in Oregon Some of the areas covered may include energy, environment, health, chemistry, engineering and technology. Docked just outside the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry is the USS Blueback , a non-nuclear submarine that was in use for more than 30 years.
Fun things to do in Portland This submarine feature in the movie The Hunt for Red October . Today, visitors can climb up for a guided tour.
Address: 1945 SE Water Avenue, Portland, Oregon
Official Site: www.omsi.edu
Top 10] Best Tourist Attractions in Connecticut
11 Tourist Attractions near Portland Oregon Zoo
Located in Washington Park, the Oregon Zoo houses hundreds of species, including many birds and marine animals such as stellar sea lions and sea otters.
Animals from all over the world represented here, from the African savanna to the Amazon and the Arctic. Places to visit in Portland One man, Richard Knight, put together a private collection of animals and started the zoo in the late 1800s.
Visitors will also want to take the time to learn about the Oregon Zoo conservation program and research as one of the primary focuses is on preserving the species of the Pacific Northwest.
Address: 4001 SW Canyon Road, Portland, Oregon
Official Site: www.oregonzoo.org
12 Tourist Attractions near Portland Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden Portland
Beyond the Pacific Northwest’s rhododendrons, this Portland garden also includes azaleas, Japanese maples, dogwoods and magnolias in nearly ten acres of land .
While the main attraction is certainly the spring blooms, when the colors are simply incredible , the heat continues into the summer.
In winter, admission is free, and the garden becomes a more peaceful place to spend some time. Free things to do in Portland Many beautiful features include waterfalls and ponds along with many coniferous trees.
For anyone looking for a great place to volunteer their time and meet other community members, regular Wednesday work teams take place in the garden from February through November.
Address: 6015 SE 28th Ave, Portland
Top 12] Tourist Attractions of Wyoming
Where to Stay in Portland The Best Areas for Visitors
The perfect city is the best place to stay in Portland for fun and sightseeing.
The city center is relatively compact, and staying here will give you reasonable proximity to many major attractions. Nearby is Nob Hill with trendy restaurants and boutiques.
Below is a list of highly rated hotels in convenient locations :
- Luxury Hotels : One of the highest-rated hotels in the city is the recently Riverplace, a Kimpton Hotel.
- This boutique hotel is located along the beautiful Willamette River overlooking Waterfront Park, an ideal spot for a stroll. Another good option is the Embassy Suites by Hilton in the heart of downtown, near Old Town Chinatown. The Sentinel is also a popular choice, just across the street from Powell’s Books, one of Portland’s landmarks.
- Mid-Range Hotels : Just a little outside the main city but close to the chic Pearl District is the Residence Inn. The recently renovated property is an extended stay hotel with large suites. The Marriott Downtown has an excellent location on the Courtyard and offers good-value accommodations. Fans of unique properties will love the Ace Hotel with its clawfoot bathtub and funky interior decor.
- Budget Hotels: The Crystal Hotel is a hip option with unique decor and a salt water pool, in a good downtown location. Another popular hotel near Portland State University and the Portland Art Museum is the Econo Lodge, known for its good value. Park Lane Suites & Inn offers both regular rooms and larger suites, making it a great option for budget-minded families. It is also conveniently located near Washington Park, which is home to many of the city’s attractions, including the Portland Japanese Garden, the Zoo, the Portland Children’s Museum, and the HOT Arboretum.
Top 14] Tourist attractions of Maine
Tips and Tours: How to Make the Most of Your Visit in Portland
- sightseeing tours Portland Sightseeing Tours including. The Columbia Gorge Waterfalls. A great way to explore the city without the hassle of parking and finding your way around the city. Enjoy the convenience of picked up from your hotel on. The bus and seeing all the city highlights, along with interesting insider information from an expert guide.
- On this full-day tour, you’ll learn about Portland’s food cart culture. It is visit the city’s various neighborhoods and top attractions, including the beautiful Columbia Gorge Waterfalls. If you’re short on time. It the Best of Portland Small-Group Sightseeing Tour is a half-day tour in a luxury van or SUV.
- The tour includes convenient pickup from your downtown hotel as well as fresh pastries, seasonal snacks, and a naturalist guide, who shares fascinating information about the parks, gardens, and city landmarks. For on-the-ground-style sightseeing, The Portland Segway Tour gives you the flexibility to take a one-hour riverfront tour or a two-hour tour. The longer tour adds even more attractions to the Pearl District and Rivers’ itinerary like Powell’s Books.
- Day Trips : Oregon is famous for its spectacular wilderness areas, and a fun and easy way to see them is on a day trip from Portland. The Hood Day Trip from Mount Portland to Multnomah Falls and Hood River is a fun way to navigate your way around and escape the hustle and bustle of the city without worrying about researching the top destinations. Board a coach from your city on this full-day tour, and sit back and relax as your guide takes you through the scenic Columbia River Gorge and the highlights of Mt. Hood area, including waterfalls, the Cascade Mountains, and the beautiful town of Hood River.