The Interesting Facts of Colosseum and History is the largest elliptical amphitheater of the Roman Empire located in the city of Rome, Italy, which is considered to be an outstanding specimen of Roman architecture and engineering. Let us tell you that it is one of the 7 wonders of the world and about 4.2 million tourists visit here every year.
Which tells about this wonder of Rome, its construction started in the middle of 70-72 AD, which was completed by Emperor Titus in 80 AD. After completion, some changes were made in it again in 81st AD. Let us tell you that it is named after the family name Flavius of Amphitheaterum Flavium, Titus and Vespian, a part from this, If you want to know more about the Colosseum, then read this article completely, in this we are going to tell about the Interesting Facts of Colosseum and History.
Built in the oval, the Interesting Facts of Colosseum and History could accommodate 50,000 spectators, which was a big deal for any building at that time. You will surprise to know that bloody battles of warriors held in this stadium just for entertainment.
Actually on that time warriors also had to fight with animals however, it estimate that more than one million humans and 5 lakh animals killed here, apart from this, plays related to many mythological tales were also organized here. Here grand events organized twice in a year, which the Roman people liked very much.
The building was closed to the public in the early medieval period such as it has since been used as a residence, religious work, fort, and a place of pilgrimage. Talking about this structure at present, it has become a ruin due to earthquake and stone theft.
But even today this ruin kept well decorated for the tourists visiting here. Even today this place tells the splendor of the Roman Empire. It is one of the favorite places by tourists in Rome. This historical site has also been included in the list of World Heritage Sites by UNESCO. Even today, on every Good Friday, the Pope takes out a procession at this place by lighting a torch.
Top 10] Unsolved Secrets of Mysteries of Machu Picchu
Interesting Facts of Colosseum
- The Colosseum, also known as the Flavian Amphitheater, is constructed in an oval shape.
- In 2007, the Colosseum was chosen as one of the 7 wonders of the world.
- The Colosseum, built between AD 72 and AD, is located in the center of the city of Italy.
- The height of the wall of the Colosseum is 157 feet and the circumference is 1788 feet.
- 1.1 million tonnes of concrete, along with stones and bricks, this to build this imposing structure.
- You will surprise to know that the Colosseum has more than 80 entrances and similarly this is one of the most famous Roman tourist attractions in the world.
- Rome’s Colosseum has a seating capacity of about 50,000 people.
- Around 200 bullock carts were used to transport the marbles at the time of the construction of the Colosseum.
Top 10] Interesting facts about Angel Falls of Venezuela
Fun Fact of Colosseum
- The Colosseum hosted gladiator duets only for the entertainment of the people in the Roman Republic.
- About 100,000 cubic meters of stone has been used for its construction.
- The Colosseum was built by Emperor Vespasian of the Flavian dynasty.
- It is one of the most visited monuments in Italy as a result every year more than 4 million tourists come here to visit.
- The most surprising thing is that here 5 lakh people and 1 lakh animals have lost their lives in sports just for fun.
- Finally the last recorded games were held here in the 6th century.
- The image of the Colosseum can be seen in five-cent euro coins. A torch procession is taken out here every Good Friday in summary the Interesting Facts of Colosseum and History still maintains close ties with the Roman Catholic Church today.
- The southern part of the Colosseum was destroyed by a major earthquake in 847.
- In 80 AD Titus organized a 100-day game at the start of the Interesting Facts of Colosseum and History. It is a popular place for botanists.
Top 20] Tourist Attractions in USA
Crazy Facts of Colosseum
- Some broken pieces of the Interesting Facts of Colosseum and History have been used for the construction of St Peter’s Basilica.
- 60,000 Jewish slaves worked to build the Colosseum, which covers an area of 6 acres.
- The Colosseum was built as a gift to the Romans.
- In addition this huge amphitheater took less than 10 years.
- The largest seat here belonged to the emperor sitting in the box, which provided the best view of the arena.
- Thereafter a sea battle took place inside the Colosseum during the reign of Titus in 80 AD.
- Tickets for the Colosseum were completely free to the ancient Romans.
- If we calculate the cost of the Colosseum as of today, it will be more than 39 million euros.
In this article, you have to know interesting facts and other information about the Colosseum out of the seven wonders of the world, how did you like this article of ours.
Top 33 ] कपल्स के लिए मुंबई के पास बेस्ट रिसॉर्ट्स | Best Resorts near Mumbai for Couples in Hindi