Interesting facts about Chichen Itza is located 200 kilometers west of Cancun in the state of Yucatán and is one of Mexico’s best-preserved archaeological sites. Itza is the name of the ethnic-dynastic community that ruled the northern peninsula of Mexico prior to the Spanish conquest. The name Chichen Itza means the bank of the well. About 1.2 million people visit the Chichen Itza tourist destination every year. The name of Chichen Itza comes in the list of 7 wonders of the world.
It is an archaeological site rich in history as well as various designs and styles. This pyramid structure is exceptional for its design as well as calendar construction. Its biggest secret is the fall of a shadow on the pyramid, making the shape of a snake twice a year, surprises everyone. The center of attraction in Chichen Itza is the pyramidal El Castillo.
If you want to know more about Chichen Itza, then read this article completely, in this we are going to tell you about the history of Chichen Itza and its interesting facts.
History of Chichen Itza
The pre-Columbian Maya civilization built Interesting facts about Chichen Itza between the ninth and twelfth centuries. He used this place as an observatory to display astronomical phenomena. Explain that it is a superimposed development in which one is built on the other. From the highest point of this building, the sky could be seen from above the vegetation without any restraint. Let us tell you that most of the sites of Chichen Itza make strange sounds. When you clap once at one end of the ball court here, it echoes the applause nine times in the center of the court. Apart from this, clapping in front of the Kukulan pyramid produces a sound similar to the chirping of a bird.
Top 25 ] Interesting Facts of Colosseum and History
Interesting Facts of Chichen Itza
- Chichen Itza is located in the eastern part of the state of Yucatán in Mexico and is the base of Yucatán.
- Let us tell you that this holy site was one of the greatest Mayan centers of the Yucatan Peninsula.
- Interesting facts about Chichen Itza was a large city built by the Maya people about 1200 years ago and is spread over an area of 4 square miles.
- Chichen Itza is famous for its large pyramidal temple and it was built with stone.
- Chichen Itza was discovered by Pastor Luckin Chan in 514 AD.
- The Pyramid of Kukuln, located here, is the most famous symbol of Maya culture. The height of this pyramid is 30 meters.
Top 10 ] Interesting Facts About Petra Jordan
Facts about Chichen Itza Mexico
- Most notably, Chichen Itza has been a center of pilgrimage for more than 1,000 years.
- Chichen Itza is divided into different regions called Chichén Viejo and Chichén Nuevo.
- Chichén Viejo was built around 400 AD.
- The ruler of Menap, Hunc Peel, conquered Chichen Itza in the 13th century.
- Until 2006, tourists were allowed to climb El Castillo. Its height is 24 meters and it has nine levels.
- Chichen Itza’s largest ball court was discovered in Mesoamerica. The ball court is surrounded by 26-foot high walls.
- Interesting facts about Chichen Itza is mostly known for its strange voices.
- Casa Colorado has one of its best buildings.
- The National Institute of Anthropology and History repairs Chichen Itza.
- Each of its temples has 365 steps representing every single day of the year.
- The Chichen Itza project first began in 1923 and was commissioned by the Mexican government, but restoration work was completed by the Carnegie Institution, a US-based organization.
Top 10] Unsolved Secrets of Mysteries of Machu Picchu
Information about Chichen Itza
- Chichen Itza is so vast because of continuous restoration efforts. Even today parts of its central and northern group are under repair and are therefore not open to tourists.
- Chichen Itza is one of the new seven wonders of the world. The great ballcourt was constructed between 1050 and 1200 CE.
- “Cenote Sagrado” is the largest sinkhole in Interesting facts about Chichen Itza with a diameter of 60 meters.
- Chichen Itza has a church known as La Iglesia and is built of stone. It is adorned with geometric shapes and images of the Rain God – Chalk.
- Recently the ruins and pyramids here have been bought by the government from the private owner here.
Chichen Itza fun facts
- Here the temple of Descending God is situated in the center of Tulum, tourists are not allowed in this temple.
- El Castillo is the tallest construction inside the Maya ruins of Tulum.
- Nohch Mul, translated as “Large Hill”, is about 42 meters high and is the only Maya pyramid that tourists are allowed to climb.
In this article, you have come to know the history of Chichen Itza and its interesting facts, how did you like this article, do not forget to tell us in the comments.